Monday, November 5, 2007

Playwrighting

I have always loved the term "playwright" as a description for the process of writing play scripts! The "wright" places an emphasis on the building and construction of the object as inferred in words like "cartwright" and "shipwright".

"Playwright" is evocative of this process of construction, of building a representation in some dramatic form, using an understanding a dramatic time, space and dialogue to shape character and action into theatre. The playwright is a builder of dramatic action and not just a writer.

I continue to grow a cast of threads, loose ideas, half finished scripts, scribbled notes and failed attempts. These pieces physically turn over in my head, calling, haunting like ghost beckoning to be released from the purgatory of theatrical limbo. To be finished, killed off or polished off, for better or worse

Therefore, I am taking a break for the nex year from directing other playwrights' work with the intention of developing something out of my own threads into a script that resembles a state of completion.

This decision aside, I still need to elect which idea to pursue. Each one regularly calls upon me periodically, reverberating and echoing into new connotations, reasons for revisiting. This regular of cast of working titles are fighting for attention amongst the pack, only to be occasionally overwhelmed by another, new exciting contender. Already, these projects beg, fight for notice as a I write"

  • Crust
  • From Here
  • Hideous Hours Spent
  • Small Talk (and dirty knives)
  • Half Way House
  • Corpse on the Roadside
  • The Home Front
  • West to Whatever

I think I'll try to introduce a couple of the script and go from there.

No comments: